Friday, August 19, 2005

Fedora Core 4 and the Siath


This is out of order but, I am a bit excited... I have had a Dual Boot (two operating systems on 1 computer) for a while, but have not been able to get online with Fedora Core 4 due to 'ISP' compatibility issues, but with the help of my AWESOME ISP tech staff, I am typing todays blog with Fedora Core 4.
What does this mean for my readers. This means MORE ART, more post more EVERYTHING.

Yah.

Now this post was supposed to be about my operating system past and present...

I first learned about computing in High School using an Apple II, and then somewhere in the middle of the year the school upgraded the outdated hardware with IBM PCII's, this was much better, still ran DOS, and it wasn't MS's DOS, it was DR. Dos...not that it was really any better.
As I didn't learn anything, I dabble on my own for a while with freinds computers..
Played PONG, played chess, played some other 2d sidescrolling 2 player psp (this is Person to Person - ie dial there phone and connect to their computer and play games...)
A few years later I bought a 386sx with a whooping 6mb of ram..wow. Win95a... it crashed and burned...so I sold the 'hardware' off...
Many years after that disapointment I bought a PIII@450MHz, 64mb ram, 8.5GB HDD, 3DFX Voodoo 3 3000 Video, and Aureal Vortex a3d sound, a cheap modem and I was off and running...to the store for memory..lol. Upgraded the memory (that currently has 174mb), overclocked from 450MHz to 504MHz, and have added new HDD after a brutal hdd failure. (added a 30GB)
This computer runs Mandrake Linux 10.0 and is incredibly STABLE. up and running for 7 months (and that is now my youngest daughters primary system.)
Well, I needed something better for graphics and ran accross a TTX 20" monitor with 1600x1200 resolution at 60Hz. So, now I have a big ass monitor...woohoo...

I had been promised a new computer, but Finances dictated differantly, so I bought and assembled the various items to have my current computer.

I actually found the motherboard/powersupply first.. A Compaq Dual PIII server motherboard and 'required' powersupply, then I bought a red and black 'gamer' case, nVidia GeForce 2 MX/MMX 400 64mb vid Card, Aureal Vortex A3d Audio (plus the onboard audio Intel 82801AA AC'97 Sound), 60GB HDD (Windows ME resides there) and a 30GB HDD (Fedora Core 4 Resides there) onboard LAN 10/100 Ethernet, onboard SCSI controller ( currently not in use as I don't have any SCSI drives yet)

Windows ME sucks, I know it, you know it, and MicroSoft KNOWS it., but it's what I have for Windows and it'll let me play my games.
Fedora Core 4 ROCKS ('cept that whole pain in the rear to get online thing) but otherwise it ROCKS.
Games, OpenOffice, the Gimp, and so much more COME WITH IT> all inclusive basically, and there are a ton of downloadable upgrades and games and programs for FC4.

Anyway, off to do other things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home